My all-time favorite food is probably Mexican; tacos, nachos, burritos, chips & queso with a side of fresh salsa!! Since going vegan, I’ve been able to eat Mexican food, (thankfully!!) but I’ve been missing my queso! Mmmmmmm – QUESO – That creamy, yummy, cheesy sauce, perfect for dipping chips, dunking tacos and drizzling over nachos! I’ve seen some recipes for vegan cheese sauce using cashews and nutritional yeast, but it just didn’t sound appetizing to me. (Really? Cheese sauce out of nuts and nooch?) Well, today I was browsing some vegan recipes (yes, it’s a thing) and I found a new cheese recipe that uses potatoes & carrots and promised it was life-changing! I was leery but, it looked SOOOO YUMMY! So here goes:
- 2 c peeled, cubed potato I used one large potato
- 1 carrot, chopped I peeled and then chopped it
- water for boiling
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tsp lemon juice Careful here – I thought it said Tbsp instead of tsp and ruined a batch. Blame it on my old eyes, or the fact that I was doing too many things at once, but needless to say, it wasn’t good.
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked or regular paprika I used regular
- 4 tsp mustard (Dijon or brown work well) Before you add all the mustard, do a taste test. If you like a sharper cheddar flavor add more mustard.
- 1 tsp lower sodium soy sauce or tamari
- Combine the potato and carrot in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain and transfer to a food processor or power blender.
- Add all the other ingredients to the food processor and process for about 2 minutes, or until totally smooth.
- Serve over veggies, potatoes, rice or pasta for a healthy meatless meal!
Very closely adapted from Oatmeal with a Fork’s Cheese-Less Cheeze Sauce
So, as I said, I goofed and added 3 Tablespoons of lemon juice. I realized it as soon as I added it, but it was too late. UGGHH!! So I finished blending and doctored it up a little bit and it was just ok. But, then I made another batch and it was AMAZING!! YAY!!! I’ll definitely be making this recipe, weekly!