It’s become obvious to me that the key to getting the vitamins & minerals necessary to fuel this body of mine, is eating a diversified diet filled with fruits & vegetables. Even those that may not be on my radar, like lima beans (I tried these as a kid and I don’t think I liked them), okra (it’s a southern thing right?), and jack fruit (whaat? who’s Jack and why does he have fruit?)
As I was browsing the the aisles of my Publix today, I came across a bag of frozen mixed Vegetable Soup Mix. Not your usual bag of frozen vegetables, either. It had tomatoes, lima beans, potatoes and even okra. (What no Jack fruit?) I read the ingredients and to my surprise just the veggies! No casein or preservatives! YAY! Peradventure (Translate as “Perhaps” – Word of the Day), I should give it a shot. Soup it is!
- 15 oz Bag of Vegetable Soup Mix
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Package Vegetable Stock Concentrate If you don’t have these cool little concentrate packets, you can use 2 cups of vegetable broth in place of the water and packet.
- 15 oz Can Beans (Black, Red, Kidney or Garbanzo)
- 1/2 cup Rice, uncooked or 1 cup cooked I’ve been cooking a big batch of rice on Sundays and storing in the refrigerator so I can make quick meals throughout the week.
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2 cloves Garlic, diced
- Heat 2 cups of water to boiling.
- Add vegetable stock concentrate, frozen vegetable soup mix, beans, uncooked rice and seasonings. If using cooked rice add it at the end, just to heat.
- Bring to back to boil
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Top with Daiya Vegan Shredded Parmesan
Word of the Day: Peradventure – def. Perhaps
This soup was DELISH!!! I highly recommend it! I think Kroger sells a similar product, so check your local grocers’ freezer section!