Did you know that there’s a NATIONAL CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY!!!! Yep, that’s right, finally a holiday I can sink my teeth into. Wooohooo!!!! Now, to be honest, I missed the actual Holiday. It was January 27th. (I’ve always said I’m a little slow!!! Not slow enough for the short bus, but slow enough to use it as an excuse for EVERYTHING!!!) Well, in s-l-o-w honor of this National Holiday, I’ll be making a Chocolate Cake today. I think my hubs just passed out from excitement!!! Yes, Chocolate is his first and everlasting love! Don’t get me wrong, I rank up there too, especially when I make him something Chocolate!!
So many recipes to choose from!!! Hmmm, I just don’t know?!? Do I make the Healthy Chocolate Cake with a Secret? The Secret being black beans instead of flour. Uh, NO, that’s grounds for divorce in hubby’s eyes. Chocolate-Red Wine Cake… sounds perfect for me, but alas, NOPE, he’s not a wine lover. Chocolate Guinness Cake with Irish Cream Carmel Sauce, hmmm… closer to his likes, but beer and chocolate? I just don’t know about that. No… I think I’m gonna go with my own creation… a super moist, Hot Cocoa… no, Coffee and cocoa…. oh I know… a Triple Shot, Half Caf, Skinny Mocha cake. I don’t know where I get this stuff!!! I hope it tastes as good as I’ve imagined it will!!
Triple Shot, Half Caf, Skinny Mocha Chocolate Cake By My Slightly Demented and Really Slow Brain
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa This is part of the Mocha part of the recipe
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Oil Skinny version – 1/2 Cup Oil & 1/2 Cup Applesauce
- 1 Cup Milk, Buttermilk or if your lactose intolerant Almond Milk I’m trying a Dr. Oz experiment to see if I’m lactose intolerant. Might explain why I’m so slow.
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Steaming Hot Coffee This is the other part of the Mocha… where you personalize the recipe however you like. IE. half caf, triple shot etc. Get CRAZY!!! Another option is to actually purchase your favorite coffee drink from your local barrista and add it here… GENIUS!!!
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease two 9-inch baking pans and set aside.
- In the large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda & powder, and salt.
- Add oil, eggs, milk and vanilla extract; beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Stir in hot coffee. Batter will be runny, just go with it.
- Pour batter evenly between the two pans and bake on middle rack of oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons strong coffee… or use your favorite coffee drink again.
- 1/4 cup butter (soy butter if your lactose intolerant)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Beat all ingredients together until fluffy.
- Slather it on your cakes.
- Top with mini chocolate chips or cocoa-powdered sugar dusting.
- Take a picture of your cake and start bragging!!!