I know cottage cheese and an apple doesn’t sound like a lunch you might crave or even consider, but trust me on this one… it was AWESOME!!! Are you wondering how I ended up with this concoction? Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I’m trying to eat healthier and get fit. Truth be told, I’m actually attempting the 13-week P90X program. (1 week down, 12 more to go!!) Notice that my resolution wasn’t to do the P90X program? Yeah, I think that I have a better chance of success if I say “eat healthier”, because even if I’m still eating crappy, I can still say I’m eating healthier than last year, thus SUCCESS!!! Anyway, the P90X nutrition plan is not vegetarian-friendly, so I’ve decided that I would come up with my own menus, thus the Cheesy Apple creation.
So normally, I’d have my cottage cheese with some sort of crackers, or if the crackers are gone even some (GASP) chips would do. But crackers and chips are not on the nutrition plan. Plain cottage cheese is just so… so boring! As I was staring into my fridge, I saw the newly purchased, unopened cottage cheese, sitting right beside the newly purchased Pink Lady apples, and I had a brainstorm. OK, maybe it was just a passing shower. But I thought to myself “Hey, I could totally cut my apple with my handy dandy corer, slicer and then scoop the cottage cheese into the center, and I could add some cucumber slices or even some chopped walnuts or pecans.” Yep, I was right, it was AWESOME!!!! And so healthy!! Here’s the recipe and the nutritional facts…
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, look for a low sodium variety
- 1 fresh apple, washed, cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped pecans, optional
- Use a apple corer/slicer to prepare your apple. Cut the center core out leaving a spot for the cottage cheese. TIP: sprinkle some lemon or lime juice over the apple slices to prevent it from turning brown.
- Scoop the cottage cheese into the center and top with pecans.
- Calories: 164
- Total Fat: 5.3 grams
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
- Sodium: 400 mg This will depend on the variety of cottage cheese you use
- Carbohydrates: 18.9 grams
- Fiber: 2.3 grams
- Sugar: 15 grams
- Protein: 13.6 grams
Get your apple corer slicer at Target.