These little peppermint flavored balls are a spin-off of the original Snowballs/Russian Teacakes/Mexican Wedding Cookies. Kind of like Kendra and The Girls Next Door, ok but I like both cookies way better than I do either show!!! If you read yesterdays post, you know that the original recipe was quite easy and pleasurable to make, which is why I decided to tweak the recipe and make them again today. Cop out? Maybe, but I’m gearing up for the Buckeyes, so here goes…
Candy Cane Snow Balls By Kim Brooks
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely crushed candy canes or peppermint candies, divided
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cream the butter with 1/2 cup of the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla and peppermint extract. Mix in the flour, 3/4 cup of the crushed candy canes and salt. Roll about 1 tablespoon or so of dough into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Do not allow these cookies to get too brown. It’s better to undercook them than to overcook them.
- Mix together remaining 1/4 cup crushed candy canes and 1/3 cup confectioners sugar. While cookies are still hot roll them in candy cane sugar mixture. Once they have cooled roll them in candy cane sugar once more.
WOW! I really like these!!! They are pepperminty and yummy!!! I may even like them better than the original! Go figure!