Ok, this is a recipe that one of my besties, Laurie made many years ago, and I GORGED myself on!!! I have a serious addiction to this stuff!!! So much so, that I can only make it once a year. And it’s that time of year again!!! YAY!!! I call it Poor Man’s Toffee, because it’s super cheap and easy to make and goes a long way! It’s great for a hostess/neighbor/co-worker gift. I wouldn’t suggest giving it to your significant other as their only gift, unless, of course, you want a lump of coal (too expensive)/head of broccoli (too healthy)/rubber band (perfectly useful & useless) as your gift. However, it would be great in the stocking instead of an labor-intensive orange, though!!
I like to change the topping based on the occasion or my mood. As you can see, today I chose holly & berries which reflects my “still in love with Christmas” mood! Sometimes, I like crushed candy canes, usually when I’m frustrated and need to crush something. Yes it’s a great way to express your feelings without hurting anyone. Give it a try!!
Christmas Crack aka Poor Man’s Toffee (This is my memory of my friend Laurie Kleespies recipe.)
- Saltine crackers, enough to line a jelly roll pan
- 1 cup butter/margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- sprinkles, candy canes or your fave nuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line jelly roll or sided cookie sheet with saltines.
- In saucepan, bring butter or margarine and sugar to a rapid boil. Continue to boil for 3 minutes.
- Pour butter mixture over saltines so that they are completely covered.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and allow to melt for a few minutes.
- Spread the melted chocolate to completely cover the saltines.
- Add your topping of choice… sprinkles, candy canes or nuts.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Break into pieces and ENJOY!!