If you couldn’t tell, I LOVE challenges!!! So, I’ve set myself a new challenge for the holiday season, (as if the holidays aren’t challenging enough) …Make a different cookie everyday from December 1st to December 25th. Uh, I guess that means I actually have to bake on Christmas Day. Yeah, I didn’t really think this one through. But any who… In true “Mom There’s Nothing To Eat” style, I went to my recently cleaned out pantry and chose a boxed brownie mix and some caramel beads. I know, caramel beads? You see my daughter coerced me into buying these mysterious beads to make caramel apples… but, they never got made. That happens A LOT!!! So I rescued them from the pantry. FYI, there is a recipe on the mystery beads package, but I chose to ignore that and wing it. Well, here goes!!!
Chewy Caramel Christmas Brownies
- 1 package brownie mix
- 1 package caramel beads/balls/chips
- 1/2 cup oil For a lighter version you can substitute applesauce, but why bother…it’s the Holidays!!
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs So you can use 3 egg whites if your watching your waist line, but, again, why bother…it’s the Holidays!!!
- Preheat oven to 350°F for metal or glass pan. For dark coated pan, set your oven to 325°F. If your undecided as to whether your pan is light or dark, metal or glass then go for 340-ish°F.
- Spray 9″ x 13″ pan with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine brownie mix, oil, water and eggs in a large bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed, about 50 strokes.
- Spread into pan.
- Sprinkle caramel beads/balls/chips on top.
- Bake for 28-31 minutes.
When I removed them from the oven, I realized that the caramel, which was now melted and yummy would eventually harden again when cooled (it’s a science thing). So, I must add a disclaimer here…HEAT BEFORE YOU EAT!!! Yep, just nuke them for a few seconds before you eat them to avoid an unexpected/emergency trip to the dentist. Having said that, I am enjoying one right now, which has not been heated ( I am such a dare-devil) and it’s just chewy enough without putting my teeth in danger! Go figure!!! I would suggest cutting them while still warm…trust me…I don’t want your Christmas-cussing directed at me! ENJOY!