So it’s Mexican Monday and I’ve decided to make tostadas instead of the normal taco bar. Why, you ask? Well, because they look so impressive!!! They are so tall and yummy looking and filled with a bunch of stuff that I happen to have in my pantry already!!!! YAY ME!!! Oh… and I can make them either vegetarian or meatatarian depending on whose eating it! I have never had the pleasure of making tostadas before, so this is going to be fun!!!!
Since Betty didn’t have a recipe, I scanned the internet and decided to just wing-it! I know…GO NUTS!!! Anyway, here goes….
- Flour or corn tortillas (I saw recipes with both and I have both, so I will try both)
- Refried Beans, you can make your own or just find that can in your pantry
- Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese (for vegans use soy)
- Ground Beef (or turkey, shredded chicken or even veggie meat if you prefer)
- Taco Seasoning
- Your Favorite Salsa – again you could make your own, if your feeling ambitious!
- Sour Cream
- Queso- optional
- Guacamole – optional
- In a skillet, brown the beef and drain, if necessary. Add seasoning according to packet directions.
- Heat refried beans.
- Place tortillas on cookie sheet and spray with cooking oil spray (PAM). Broil until just slightly brown. Flip, spray and broil again.
- Top each toasted tortilla with beans, beef, salsa, and cheese. Place back in broiler just until cheese melts.
- Top with lettuce, guacamole and second tortilla. Press lightly.
- Drizzle with queso and then a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro.
- Cut into pieces with pizza cutter and serve.
OK, so these were a hit! Everyone loved them, but my son reverted back to a good old-fashioned soft taco after his first one because, as he said “it’s just easier.” Which translated, means it’s faster!!! For a teenager it’s all about the speed at which the food moves into the mouth. Taste has little to do with it!! In my personal opinion, I really enjoyed the crunchiness of the corn tortilla. The flour one was good and crunchy, too, but I preferred the taste and texture of the corn. What did you think?? Give it a try and let me know how you liked it!
Now, do me a fave…click on the picture below and vote for my blog! It’s painless and I will be eternally grateful!!! REALLY!!!!
Don’t miss today’s deal of the day at Groupon