I wanted to make a nice family dinner for us before my husband left for another week on the road, so I went hunting through “the cookbook” searching for that perfect dinner. What resulted was a list of meals for the week…I know, I am such an overachiever! But, the plan, as written, was for Sunday dinner to be Pad Thai both shrimp and chicken…this would be a tough sell, as my family has never eaten Pad Thai. I have and I LOVE IT, but they aren’t very adventurous when it comes to food! I mean, come on… my son hunted down McDonald’s in every city we hit in Europe last summer! Yeah, he Big Mac’d his way through Germany, Italy, France and England…disgraceful! Actually, just a teenager being a teenager! Anyway, my husband got wind of my plan for dinner and decided he would chime in. He wanted Thursday’s Fettuccine Alfredo for Sunday’s dinner (this is him whining)…GASP! But I relented and alas…Fettuccine Alfredo Brooks!
- 8 oz uncooked fettuccine So, I doubled this recipe, cause my family can eat A LOT or fettuccine….so 16 oz boxed-yes, boxed…I didn’t have time to make fresh!
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine 1 cup (2 sticks)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream To make a lighter version I read that you could add evaporated milk, so I was going to mix 1/2 cup of cream and a 1/2 cup of evaporated milk…but I forgot and added all cream…really fattening, but really YUMMY!
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese 1½ cups…thank Bai for grating all the cheese!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 tsp
- 1/8 teaspoon black or white pepper 1/4 tsp
- Chopped fresh parsley
- In large sauce pot, cook fettuccine as directed on package.
- While fettuccine is cooking, in 2-quart saucepan, heat butter and whipping cream over low heat, stirring constantly, until butter is melted. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper.
- Drain fettuccine; return to sauce pot. Pour sauce over warm fettuccine; stir until fettuccine is well coated. Sprinkle with parsley. I would probably not add all the sauce to the noodles, so we could have some to dip the bread sticks in. It was an afterthought…SORRY FAM!
Everyone LOVED this meal! I made home-made bread sticks, and a mixed greens salad with home-made dressing. And as if that weren’t enough, I made home-made apple crisp for dessert!!! AAAHHHHHH!!!!! FAT AND HAPPY!