I had a house full of kids last night and I needed something for them to snack on while the boxed (SHHHH) mac-n-cheese cooked. So, I looked at the next recipe in the Betty Challenge. It was a cheese ball. Hmm, do kids like cheese balls? IDK! I remember my best friend, Paula, and I always made this cheese concoction when we were kids, that had shredded cheddar, cream cheese, onion powder, maybe garlic…Hey Paula help me out here! Anyway, we LOVED it! So… I figured what they hey, let’s make it and see if the new generation likes it! They’re kids…and it’s cheese…kids LOVE cheese!! Right?
Cheese Ball By Betty Crocker
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese I used 1 cause 2 just seemed like WAY TOO MUCH! What if they don’t like it?
- ¾ cup crumbled blue cheese I halved this too which was about ¹⁄3 cup if I did my fractions right…see kids this is why math is important
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese (4 oz) ½ cup for me
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (¼ cup) ok so I did half of the smallest onion I had and I know it was way more than ¹⁄8 cup…oops
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce ½ tablespoon…or a dash more…I wasn’t exact
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley I didn’t measure this… I just chopped a bunch
- Assorted crackers
- Place cheeses in a medium bowl; let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes or until softened. Easy enough!
- Beat onion and Worcestershire sauce into the cheeses with electric mixer on low-speed until mixed. Beat on medium speed 1 to 2 minutes, scraping bowl frequently, until fluffy. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours until firm enough to shape into a ball. Say what? 8 hours? I don’t have 8 hours…well…I guess the kids will have to have it for breakfast after the sleepover!
- Shape cheese mixture into 1 large ball. Roll in parsley; place on serving plate. Cover and refrigerate about 2 hours or until firm. Serve with crackers. OK…so you may have noticed that in my pic, the ball is not rolled in parsley. This would be because I dumped the parsley into the mixing bowl way back 8 hours ago and can’t pick it out now!!! But it’s the flavor that counts!!!
I am SOOO glad I cut this recipe in half! Not because it wasn’t DELISH… but because it was HUGE! I can’t imagine what the full recipe would have looked like. Hey, we could have made three balls and juggled them!!!
By the way…the kids LOVED it!!!! Which is bizarre because my daughter HATES onion! Huh…
So, what I learned was…half can be better than whole…and make the recipe even if you think they’ll hate it! You may be pleasantly surprised!! And I need to live by that last lesson because our next Betty Challenge is… Smoked Salmon Cheesecake…hmmm….