HAPPY VALENTINES’ DAY
So, I asked my hubs what he wanted for his Valentines’ Day breakfast an d he chose waffles! Great! With my waffle iron they’re quick and easy and relatively painless. (I’m getting off easy this year!!!! SHHSSHH) Usually I’ll use various waffle recipes I find on the interwebs, but since starting the Betty Challenge, I’ve been trying to go to my Betty Crocker Cookbook first, and then tweak if need be. If I don’t, I won’t ever get done with this challenge! (There are a LOAD of recipes in there!!!!) Betty’s recipe is similar to many others I’ve used, so I didn’t have to tweak much. But…I had leftover mascarpone cheese from the tiramisu the other night and, as you know if you read this blog regularly, I can’t bear to waste…especially expensive cheese. So…I decided to add a little Italian kick to my waffles! YUMMY!!!
- 2 large eggs Organic
- 2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour I couldn’t decide, so I did 1 cup of each!
- 1 ¾ cups milk Organic
- ½ cup vegetable oil, melted butter or margarine Organic butter, melted in the micro
- 1 tablespoon sugar contemplated sub’ing honey, but in the end went with sugar. Maybe next time!
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Fresh berries, if desired
- Leftover Mascarpone Cheese and Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Heat waffle iron.
- In large bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk or hand beater until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients except berries just until smooth.
- Pour slightly less than 3/4 cup batter onto center of hot waffle iron. Close lid of waffle iron.
- Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Carefully remove waffle. Serve immediately. Top with fresh berries. Repeat with remaining batter.
- I put the mascarpone cheese mixture in a mixing bowl and added a teaspoon of milk to make a little more creamy.
- Using a cookie scoop I topped each waffle with a mound of mascarpone cream and arranged strawberries and blueberries around. Finish it off with a little powdered sugar and a drizzle of honey or syrup and VOILA!!!! Pure awesomeness!!!