So after making that AWESOME ravioli dinner the other night, I had a ton of leftover meat and spinach filling. And since I hate to waste food…especially when it’s something so yummy…I wanted to make something just as yummy, but a little different. You know… disguise the leftovers so the family will eat it!!! I thought about lasagna, but in this family you have to make two separate pans (one vegetarian one meat filled) and then I end up throwing away a lot of food cause you can’t disguise lasagna once it’s cooked! So I decided to use lasagna noodles and spread the filling on each noodle and then roll them up. I call them lasagna pinwheels! I am sure others have made them, but I’m going to take the credit for this particular recipe. The family LOVED them and there were no leftovers!!!! YAY!!!
Ingredients: Keep in mind the fillings and sauce were leftover from the ravioli dinner, so the only ingredients I needed were the lasagna noodles and the shredded mozzarella! Love leftovers!!! But for those of you that didn’t have leftovers here’s the recipe for the fillings. Keep in mind that the number of pinwheels will depend on whether you are using leftovers or not!
Spinach & Cheese Filling
- 1 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
Ravioli Bolognese from Life123.com
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked I used organic-yes I’m on an organic kick
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste Umm, skipped this since its for the guys and they are anti-tomato
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese Light for me
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan fresh, of course! Wow I sound like a Parmesan snob..don’t I?
- 1 teaspoon dried basil I didn’t have dried so I used fresh…that’s backwards…usually I have 2 year old dried and not fresh
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, this is my addition…just for kicks and giggles!
Sauce: This is similar to the sauce recipe I used in the Chicken Parmigiana, except I actually used the olives this time…SHHHH…don’t tell my family!!!
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets skipped this one! EEEwww, not a fan!
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives Yep…I used them…but I bought whole with pits…so I had to work a little!
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained Don’t know what they taste like or why we should add them, but I did! Again, don’t tell the fam…
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, drained and hand crushed I used organic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lasagna Noodles, cooked according to package directions The number of noodles to cook will depend on whether you are using leftovers of the whole recipe. I used 12 noodles for my leftovers. So maybe 24 for a whole recipe? Sounds reasonable!
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
To make the filling: Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, stirring to incorporate. For the meat filling, I cooked the meat and then transferred it to the food processor and added the other ingredients and processed it slightly. For the spinach filling I just added everything to the processor and processed until the spinach was finely chopped and mixed in! SIMPLE!!!
To make the sauce: Coat a wide sauté pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onions, garlic, and anchovies; cook and stir for 5 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the olives, capers, and hand torn basil. Carefully add the tomatoes (nothing splashes like tomatoes), cook and stir over low heat, until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. And then I had to process my sauce so that all the chunks were out of it! It is FABULOUS!!!!
Make the Pinwheels: Layout cooked lasagna noodles on a sheet of wax paper. Spread filling along the noodle and then starting at one end gently roll trying to keep the filling in place. Carefully pick up pinwheel and place it in a casserole dish. Top with sauce and cheese and heat in 350ºF oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.