Our 4th installment in the Betty Challenge Series is Spinach Dip…that good old-fashioned, go-to appetizer that’s usually served in a round loaf of bread. Awwwwww, I remember the first time I tried it…with that little crunchy pop when you bite into the water chestnuts…YUM!!
My only problem with this recipe is that the male members of my family won’t eat it…what with all those green specks in it! I tried to tell them it was lettuce (that’s about the only green veggie they’ll eat), but they didn’t buy it! And to make it even less desirable to my husband…it has M-A-Y-O…he despises mayo. I tried to tell him it was sour cream and yogurt…but he didn’t buy that either! So… my daughter and I enjoyed it!! And we have TONS of leftovers!!! Which means my neighbors may get a little gift at their door! Or I may bring it to the Super Bowl Party on Sunday! Maybe I can make a loaf in the shape of a football! That would be AWESOME!!
I lightened my version up a bit by using light sour cream and mayonnaise….cause you know, I’m feeling a little bloated! Could it be all these scrumptious recipes I’m making…and feel compelled to eat…YES!!! So from now on I will try to make the recipes a little less fattening. And I’m not sure what we will do when we get to the meat section!! I may have to host a bunch of dinner parties, so someone eats it!
- 1 box (9 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed So I don’t know about you, but I HATE frozen spinach!!! It is a pain to drain (I’m a poet) and squeeze and dry…I would maybe try to use fresh next time
- 1 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (I used LIGHT)
- 1 cup sour cream (Again LIGHT)
- 1 package 1.4 oz) vegetable soup and recipe mix I used this mix, but in the future I will probably come up with a blend on my own
- 1 can (8oz) water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 medium green onion, chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 1 round uncut loaf bread (about 1 lb), if desired I used sourdough….YUMMY!!!
- Squeeze thawed spinach to drain; spread on paper towels and pat dry. UGGHHH!!! In large bowl, stir spinach, mayonnaise, sour cream, soup mix (dry), water chestnuts and onion until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and soften soup mix.
- Cut 1 to 2-inch slice off top of bread loaf; hollow our loaf, leaving 1/2-1 inch shell of bread on side and bottom. Reserve scooped-out pieces to use for dipping. Spoon spinach dip into hollowed-out loaf. Arrange bread pieces around loaf.